Well I must say I am extremely down in the dumps right now in terms of running. Most other things in my life seem to be going pretty well but the running is in a dead end and has been for quite some time.
The last 12 months have just been an absolute horror stretch. Here is how it has looked.
May 2011 - Ran a PB for the half marathon and was in pretty good form after working my way back from an injury from 2010.
June-July 2011 - Began house renovations which took my weekends away. The effect on my running was huge as I would struggle to fit in any runs on weekends. Weight began to pile on as often on weekends it became convenient to eat take away.
August-September 2011 - Began training in a different group. Although the quality was far greater and the training was more intense, I had issues adjusting to this. In particular I struggled to adapt to the longer warm ups/warm downs that we were doing and most of the time I would be very sore the next day, unable to manage an easy run.
I persevered thinking that I would get used to it before realising that I was not fit enough and I needed to build my weekly kms up a bit more to survive the sessions.
October-November 2011 - After realising that I was not quite fit enough to be doing the full Tuesday & Thursday sessions that everyone else was doing, I decided to not do any Tues/Thurs sessions for a month or two and just work at building up my base. Sadly my weight ballooned out to 78kg.
December 2011-January 2012 - Began to do some speed work again and continued to build the base. As always with a new year I set some big goals but did not publicly advertise them for once which is the opposite to what I have done in past years. Things began to move alone quite well although an unusual neck injury did put me out for a week.
Febuary-March 2012 - Although I was injury free and everything was going ok, I had some major workplace stresses and a few other personal issues which took me away from running and caused me to miss several important sessions. I went an entire month without any speed work. It was frustrating but obviously there are things that are more important than running.
April 2012 - Momentun really begins to build. I am feeling very positive after finishing the month with 350km. The weight came down to 73kg and at this stage I could finally see some light at the end of this very long tunnel.
May 2012 - Start the month on a high then one Thursday night early in the month, I am on my way to training and I have a bike accident. I cut my hand in several places and although there is no initial pain anywhere else, later that night I realise that I have some soreness around my ribs. I dont think much of it and go for a run the next day but stop after an unusual feeling at around the 1km mark. I tried again 2 days later and managed 3km before a far worse soreness set it. I get home and my movements are limited and I realise I have a major problem. Initially I am convinced I have broken ribs so I go off to the doctors for some x-rays. I explain the situation to the doctor who says I dont need x-rays but I am looking at 2-6 weeks on the sidelines.
So here is the situation. Its May 2012, I havent done a race all year. I am back to 77kg. My running has gone nowhere for 12 months despite a lot of time and effort.
If I had some running related injuries then I wouldn't mind so much but the fact that these injuries have been totally unrelated to running makes things even more frustrating. There must be someone up there who just does not want me to run any PB's!!!
Anyway I will soldier on one day...
Its not been 2 weeks since the bike accident and I am hoping to do some sort of jog within the next week or so.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment