Monday, January 7, 2013

Very busy but still finding time for a run

Well things have certainly been progressing and although I haven't had time to update this blog lately, I have found time to run and I have increased my weekly kms to the extent that I finished off 2012 with a 100km week which was the first time I had done that for a few years. I have also done 30km+ runs 3 times over the last month which was the first time I had ran more than 30km since 2009.

The effect of the big training load did show last Saturday when I did an awfully slow 34.17 for 8km. I did throw in the towel over the last few kms but regardless that is still a horrible time for someone who has been running much quicker in training. A recent 24 minute fartlek session saw me cover more than 6km even though the pace was varied due to it being a fartlek.

My weight has now come down to 71kg and I will probably lose a couple more between now and March.

So now there is less than 8 weeks until the marathon although I am not going to be as focused as I have been with previous marathon campaigns, it will still be a great experience. Rather than just focus on one race, I want to focus more on maintaining my fitness level for the rest of 2013. With all marathons that I have done in the past, I have had recovery issues that have led to my fitness declining over the months that followed. This time I am determined to recover properly and keep that level of fitness no matter what it takes. I think nutrition will play a big part.

So although the marathon will be a fun experience, the focus is clearly on a consistent 2013. The year has started off well so lets hope I can keep building and then maintain it.

No comments: